Frequently Asked Questions
Below are common questions patients ask.
Click on each section to find out more about a specific topic.
BEFORE ANY VENOUS TREATMENT
- Bathe or shower first.
- Do not shave legs on the day of treatment.
- Do not apply lotions or creams on the day of treatment.
- Bring loose-fitting shorts to wear during the treatment.
- Bring compression stockings or be prepared to purchase them at our office.
- Bring loose-fitting pants to wear home after the procedure.
- Wear shoes that will accommodate the compression stockings.
- You may be asked to fast the night before or eat a snack or light meal 1.5 hours before the appointment.
- Discontinue taking birth control pills one month before the treatment.
- For a full week before treatment, do not take aspirin, ibuprofen, anti-inflammatories, blood thinners, gingko biloba, ginger, garlic, ginseng, vitamin E, ephedra, iron, or antibiotics.
Does my insurance pay for my venous procedures?
When can I return to work?
What activities can I perform after my venous treatment?
What kind of pain or discomfort can I expect after my procedure?
Will my veins return after treatment?
In general, once your veins have been treated, those specific veins should disappear completely. However, the human body is very smart. Overtime, your body will develop new veins around the areas that were removed. In most cases, the new veins are small and may not be visible to the naked eye. Over the long term, veins may reappear in new areas that may need similar treatment in the future. Every person with venous disease has a unique healing process. Therefore, follow-up examinations on a yearly basis will ensure your venous health.